- Sexual Harassment is defined by Rochester College as any verbal, written, or physical conduct that a person knows or has reasonable grounds to know would disrespect, intimidate, demean or degrade an individual’s or group’s human or civil rights and that may result in his or her mental, emotional or physical discomfort, ridicule or harm.
- Sexual violence is a form of sexual harassment and refers to physical sexual acts committed against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent (due to the student’s age or use of drugs or alcohol, or because an intellectual or other disability prevents the student from having the capacity to give consent). Acts that would fall under the category of sexual violence include rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sexual abuse, and sexual coercion.
- Sexual Assault is defined as forced, manipulated or coerced sexual activity. It is a violent crime using sexual means. When the act involves unwanted penetration, it is rape.
What do I do if I’ve been sexually assaulted?
- Call Campus Security at 248.765.8013 or ext. 2911
- Director of Residence Life ext. 2201
- The Center for Student Life ext.2041
Before washing or cleaning up, seek medical attention at a local hospital with the help of a friend or counselor. Bring a change of clothes with you. Even if you do not wish to press charges at the time it will be important to preserve any evidence and this evidence will allow you to press charges at a later date should you decide.
Because harassment, sexual assault, including domestic violence, rape, date rape and stalking are a violation of the College’s behavioral expectations all reported incidents will be investigated. The College may turn evidence over to the authorities as well as reporting the necessary information to the Title IX Coordinator and Office of Civil rights.
What if I’m not ready to tell the police?
On and Off Campus Resources
- Campus Minister, call 248.218.2114 or on campus call ext. 2114
- Psychology Clinic Call for an appointment 248.218.2122 or on campus call ext. 2122
Off-Campus Confidential Resources:
- Emergency Response, call 911
- Haven (Oakland County) Crisis & Support 248.334.1274 or toll-free 877.922.1274 or TTY (hearing impaired) 248-334-1274
- Rape Crisis Counseling, call 800.542.5212
- Turning Point, Mount Clemens, MI, Crisis Line: (586) 463-6990
- First Step, Plymouth, MI, Crisis Line Toll Free: (888) 453-5900
On Campus Private Non-confidential Resources:
- Title IX Coordinator , Sharia Hays, 248.218.2043