Academic Testing Center
GUIDELINES FOR STUDENTS
TO REQUEST INFORMATION OR SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT:
All Testing is by appointment only.
Contact the Academic Testing Center (ATC) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone at 248-218-2137, or in person in the Testing Center which is located in the Career Resource Center (CRC), room 207, in the Ham Library Building. Please note – you may receive a more timely response if you email the ATC as the office phone cannot be answered while students are testing.
Testing Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-12pm, and 1-5pm (closed 12-1pm)
NOTE: Photo ID required on test day as proof of identity such as Driver’s License or RC student ID. Please also arrive on time for scheduled appointment, and be considerate of other students who are testing by entering the room quietly.
MAKE-UP EXAMS AND ACCOMMODATIONS TESTING:
Students may take exams in the ATC when documented accommodations are approved by the RC Accommodations Officer, or when a test is missed due to an institutional absence or other absence with instructor approval.
- Appointment must be made at least 24 hours in advance of requested date/time of testing (earlier is best).
- When requesting an appointment, be sure to indicate course name and/or number, name of instructor, name of specific exam to be taken (ex: quiz #3), and a contact telephone number.
- Note – there is no guarantee that an appointment will be available at the time/date requested.
- Your instructor must submit the ATC faculty test request form for each test appointment you make.
ACCUPLACER PLACEMENT TESTS:
Who May Benefit From Accuplacer Testing?
Accuplacer exams are placement tests that help determine which course a student should be placed in according to the student’s ability to pass the class successfully. A student may be placed in a remedial math and/or English course that will not count toward a degree when the student’s ACT or SAT scores do not meet the minimum requirement for a higher level course at Rochester College. In this situation, the student has the option to take one or both Accuplacer exams. Upon receiving a qualifying score, the student may be placed into a higher level course which can save time and tuition expense.
The $20 per test fee must be paid before testing. Visit the Cashier’s Office located in the Associates Campus Center (CC) building, or call 248-218-2053 to pay by phone with a credit card. Receipt must be shown as proof of payment at testing appointment.
• Bring receipt from Business Office as proof of payment.
• Bring a photo ID as proof of identity such as Driver’s License or school ID.
• All electronic devices, including cell phone, must be turned off and stored out of sight while in the testing center.
• Students will typically receive an Accuplacer score at test completion; however, some WritePlacer essay tests are randomly pulled for hand scoring, and the results will not be available until 2-3 business days following the test date.
WritePlacer® (Written Essay) Test:
The WritePlacer is a 60 minute timed test. You will be given a topic and instructed to write a 300-600 word essay. The WritePlacer test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. Your score is based on your ability to express, organize, and support your opinions and ideas. The position you take on the essay topic doesn’t affect your score. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:
- Focus: The clarity with which you maintain your main idea or point of view.
- Organization: The clarity with which you structure your response and present a logical sequence of ideas.
- Development and Support: The extent to which you elaborate on your ideas and the extent to which you present supporting details.
- Sentence Structure: The effectiveness of your sentence structure.
- Mechanical Conventions: The extent to which your writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics.
Click on the following link to view WritePlacer sample essays:
Elementary Algebra Test:
The Elementary Algebra test is not timed. It measures your ability to perform basic algebraic operations and to solve problems involving elementary algebraic concepts. There are three types of elementary algebra questions:
- Operations with integers and rational numbers: topics include computation with integers and negative rationals, the use of absolute values, and ordering.
- Operations with algebraic expressions: topics include the evaluation of simple formulas and expressions, adding and subtracting monomials and polynomials, multiplying and dividing monomials and polynomials, the evaluation of positive rational roots and exponents, simplifying algebraic fractions, and factoring.
- Solution of equations, inequalities, and word problems: topics include solving linear equations and inequalities; solving quadratic equations by factoring; and solving verbal problems presented in an algebraic context, including geometric reasoning and graphing, and the translation of written phrases into algebraic expressions.
Click on the following links to view sample math problems:
Rochester College offers credit for successful completion of selected CLEP exams. Students must attain the CLEP standard passing score to receive credit. Students may not seek CLEP credit for courses which they failed in regular attendance or by examination at Rochester College. All CLEP tests must be completed by the end of the student’s second semester enrolled at Rochester College. In addition, credit may not be granted for an exam taken during a student’s final semester.
Making an appointment at Rochester College:
- Visit http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam to view available exams.
- Check with your advisor to be sure the credit/course is needed for the degree you are seeking.
- Contact the Rochester College Test Administrator in the Academic Testing Center (ATC) at: 248-218-2137 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/search/test-centers to search for the nearest testing center if you plan to take your exam somewhere other than Rochester College
Fees and Payment Method:
- CLEP Test Fee: The exam fee must be paid online before exam appointment. Effective July 1, 2017, the CLEP fee was increased to $85 per exam.
- Before purchasing a CLEP exam, check with your advisor to be sure the course/credit is needed for the degree you are seeking as CLEP tests are non-refundable. Schedule appointment with ATC as soon as possible after purchasing exam as exam tickets/vouchers expire after 6 months. To register and purchase exam, visit the College Board/CLEP website at https://clep.collegeboard.org/ to create an account using the My Account feature. After signing up for a CLEP exam on My Account, a registration ticket/voucher is issued to confirm the CLEP exam purchase. This voucher # is required in order to test on appointment day.
- Rochester College Administration Fee: Rochester College charges a $45 test administration fee. Payment must be made to the Business Office Cashier located in the Associates Campus Center building prior to the test appointment, and the receipt must be presented to the Test Administrator as proof of payment at test appointment.
- Credit Posting Fee: A $35 per credit hour fee for posting credit to the student’s transcript will be charged to the student’s account after the Registrar has received an official CLEP score report with a qualifying score from College Board/CLEP.
What to Bring on Testing Day:
- Receipt for Administrative Fee: Bring receipt from the Business Office Cashier as proof of payment.
- Photo ID: One form of ID that includes a photo and a signature must be presented for testing.
- Ticket/Voucher Number: The ticket/voucher can be printed from the website to bring to the student’s test appointment; however, the voucher number is all that is required.
- Do not bring any electronic device to the testing center – they are strictly prohibited.
Study Guides and Helpful Information:
- CLEP tests are computerized exams. Students will receive a test score report immediately following an exam with the exception of the College Composition exam which has a 2-3 week grading period.
- Rochester College does not accept credit for the College Mathematics CLEP exam.
- Practice tests, and other valuable information regarding CLEP exams may be viewed using the following link: http://clep.collegeboard.org/ – select the “CLEP for test-takers” in the upper right hand corner.
- Study guides are also available for use in the Career Services office.
CLEP Contact Information:
- firstname.lastname@example.org, CLEP, PO Box 6600, Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
ACT Testing Information
SAT Testing Information