ESL Endorsement – Teacher Education
ESL Endorsement (English as a Second Language)
The ESL endorsement is a 24 credit hour program designed specifically with K-12 certified teachers in mind.
The growth of business and immigration to the U.S. has created a critical need for Michigan’s growing population of students with limited English proficiency. The Michigan Department of Education reports there were 90,000 English learners enrolled in Michigan’s school system in 2017. Oakland, Macomb and Wayne County account for 66,000 of these students.
Rochester College is now offering an ESL Endorsement in response to this critical need in southeast Michigan.
About the Program
- Blended learning cohort program of online and on-ground courses; five online and three on-ground
- Complete the ESL endorsement in one year with a summer practicum
- Competitive tuition rate
- Dedicated ESL instructors currently teaching in ESL programs
- Small class and cohort size for individualized support
Why get an ESL Endorsement?
An ESL Endorsement will equip you to meet the diverse language instruction needs of your students. Schools and districts are actively looking for, or even requiring, the ESL Endorsement. Earning an additional certification is also advantageous during staff reductions, and depending on your district,
you could be eligible for BA +20 or MA pay increase.
ESL Program Outline
|FA 18||ENG 3613 Grammar & Linguistics – 15 week course; Day TBD 5-8 p.m.|
|RDG 4353 Diversity in Language Arts – Online||COM 3533 Intercultural Communication – Online|
|SP 19||ESL 4923 Teaching Beginning ESL – 15 week course; Thursdays, 5-8 p.m.|
|ESL 3903 Teaching Language Literacy and Academic Content to Linguistically Diverse Learners – Online||ESL 4793 Second Language Learning – Online|
|SU 19||ESL 4903 Second Language Assessment – Online||ESL 4843 ESL Practicum & Seminar June 30 – August 24|
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS 24|
Dedicated Program Coordinator and Instructor
Educational Specialist in ESL/EFL
- Experienced classroom teacher in urban and suburban school districts
- Serves on MDE Title 3 Advisory Committee
- ESL Consultant/ Director in Warren Consolidated and Rochester Community Schools
- Developed ESL Program Curriculum for English learners, Levels 1-4
- State presenter at MITESOL
- Presented at TESOL Conferences
- Serves on AdvancED team site visits
- Oakland Schools Consultant for ELL using Marzano’s Research
- Summer Institute Teacher at Michigan State University