MEET THE FACULTY – Mary Irvine
Adjunct Instructor of Music, Applied Voice
- Performance Certificate, Royal Schools of Music, London, U.K.
- Advanced Voice Study, John Wustman (University of Illinois) and Nancy Bramlage-Ewing (University of California).
- Voice Seminars, Soprano, Elly Ameling; Baritone, Gerard Souzay; Piano Accompanist/Coach, Dalton Baldwin.
Advanced Senior Division Certificate in Piano, Trinity College of Music, London, England.
Various training programs on working with gifted and talented students, socio-economically deprived students and students from different cultures, Pasadena, California.
School: School of Humanities
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Numerous awards in U.K.
- Who’s Who of Teachers in America
- Citation Award from National Federation of Music Clubs for Outstanding Contribution to Music
- Life Membership Award from The Birmingham Musicale for Outstanding Contribution to Music
- Member, National Association Teachers of Singing
- Member, National Federation of Music Clubs
- Past State President; Awards Chairman, Michigan Federation of Music Clubs
- Past President; Awards Chairman, The Birmingham Musicale
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Rochester College (2003-Present);
- Oakland University (1982-1986);
- Private Voice Teacher, (1974-Present);
- Pasadena School District, California (1971-1973);
- Professional Soprano, (1974-2006):
- Kirk in the Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan;
- Christ Church, Cranbrook, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan;
- First Baptist Church, Birmingham, Michigan.
- Interim Choral Director
- First Baptist Church, Birmingham, Michigan;
- University Presbyterian Church, Rochester Hills, Michigan.
- Vocal Music Director and Coach– Numerous musical theatre productions
- Live broadcasts on B.B.C., U.K.
- Performances in oratorio, recital, concert, musical theatre and opera, and with orchestra, in U.K., Michigan and California, U.S.A.
- Committee to initiate the Talented and Gifted Program, Troy school district;
- Committee to initiate the orchestra program in Troy school district.
- Adjudicator for many voice awards/auditions for NATS, University of Michigan, Oakland University, and other organizations.
Mary and her husband John (Jack), who met as teenagers, have two children and two grandchildren. Because she loves to travel, she feels very fortunate that her husband’s employment with a multi-national corporation has offered her opportunities to visit a number of different countries. These experiences have served to confirm Mary’s belief that music has the power to change people’s lives. Constantly involved in furthering the cause of young musicians, Mary organizes and administers many music awards for both high school and college students. Also, she is very involved in various activities at University Presbyterian Church in Rochester Hills. In her spare time, she loves to spend time with her wonderful family, cheering at soccer games, volley-ball games and cross-country meets, and she especially loves to travel back to England and Ireland as often as possible!